Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Couch 2 5K- One Last Week



I mentioned in two of my previous posts ( Couch 2 5K and Half Way There) my quest to train for a 5K in 9 weeks. I'm sure to some, running a mere five kilometers might seem like no big deal and does not actually require training. These would be the people who are naturally athletic, have never been out of shape and who I despise envy. However, the thought of running farther than down the hall was once enough to make me panic. Sure if I was running after a piece of cake or pie, that would have inspired me.

After completeling 8 of the 9 weeks in the program I know that not only will I be ready to run my 5K on December 19, but I am looking forward to it. When I first decided to begin the C25K program, I knew that I would need an end goal to help keep me motivated. I set out to find a race that would be close to when I was scheduled to finish and found one that is just one week after my completion date. No chances to do a week over, or take a week off. That was ok though, because I needed something to count down to and a way to hold myself accountable. So, here we are, just over 2 weeks away from my first 5K in over a decade.

Today at the halfway point of my run I was looking back on how much progress I have made, how different I felt today versus my very first day. On day one, the thought of running 5 consecutive minutes freaked me out. A lot. These days, it takes me about 20 minutes to get warmed up, to let go of the stress that has followed me even though I vow to let it go before I put on my running shoes. I love it when I reach this part of my run, it is very calm; I don't have to think about my breathing or my stride because it all just happens on its own. Once I've gotten to this point, I feel like I'm running on someone else's legs and that I could go for hours. It is a great feeling, and usually it lasts until the end of my run. This is why I started the C25K program in October.

Running has brought me peace. Even if it's for less than an hour a day, it is time when I can relax and just breath.



Photobucket

2 Awesome Comments:

Derek Cromwell said...

Good work on training! There are a lot of us that can't muster that kind of motivation. I think it's important to emphasize that small short-term goal. Lofty goals and far off end-results make these kinds of things so hard. Kudos to you, and I hope that race goes well.

by the way... I too can double my speed if cake is at stake. I'm like a big savannah dessert cheetah!

Steph @ Steph Runs On said...

Thank you, Derek. Finding the motivation to begin was definitely the hardest part!

LOL @ a big savanna dessert cheetah :)Cake will get a lot of us moving faster than we might otherwise.

Related Posts with Thumbnails